File your taxes using Koinly and Intuit's TurboTax (online or CD/DVD), Turbo Tax, TaxAct, Wealthsimple, H&R Block
Find a comprehensive guide on how to use Koinly with Turbotax on our blog for detailed instructions.
Why is Turbotax asking me to review all transactions? (US)
This review was only recently added to the Online version of Turbotax but the CD/Download version has a similar review section.
This section is entirely optional and can simply be skipped by clicking on the Continue button. It's a nice option to have but most active traders do not fill in this section since there are so many transactions.
This review section will come up for anyone who imports a CSV file to Turbotax as it's not possible to include this additional information in the CSV file itself.
If you have more than 4000 disposals:
Turbotax has a limit of 4000 transactions you can import so if you have more than this, Koinly will aggregate your transactions keeping the long-term and short-term gains the same.
For more information, check our article about Report Aggregation.
How to import your data into Turbotax Desktop (Updated 2024):
First, make sure that you have updated your software to the most recent version. You can then follow these instructions, as provided by Turbotax:
Entering your crypto gain/loss via CSV is only available in TurboTax Desktop Premium and TurboTax Desktop Home & Business. TurboTax only supports the gain/loss CSV format.
- Open TurboTax and open your return.
- Select File next to Edit in the top menu.
- Select Import.
- Select Upload crypto sales.
- On the What's the name of the crypto service you used? screen, select your crypto service from the dropdown and Continue.
- Select Upload it from my computer on the Go ahead and upload your crypto gain/loss CSV file screen.
- After downloading your gain/loss CSV file from your crypto source, upload it to TurboTax.
- You’ll see a Crypto sales uploaded successfully! message.
- Once your file is successfully uploaded, you can find all your sales to review and edit in the Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other section, under Investment Income in Wages & Income (TurboTax Premium) or Personal Income (TurboTax Home & Business).
- If you want to delete your CSV, go to File then select Remove Imported Data.
See our detailed guide on TaxAct
We recorded a detailed video on how to file Crypto Taxes on TurboTax Canada:
We have partnered with Wealthsimple to simplify the process of importing your crypto transactions to Wealthsimple. See our Wealthsimple guide.
While we do not have a special export for H&R Block, you can use the data from our IRS report or Schedule 3 report to fill your data on this platform:
Why are my acquisition costs and proceeds so high?
This is because these figures are the sum of all of your disposals' costs and proceeds - you could say that it's your trading volume. These figures do not represent your total investment which is usually much smaller.
See our article proceeds from sales & acquisition costs are very high for more info.
My capital gains are wrong/too high!
We recommend checking the completeness/correctness of the data imported to Koinly before downloading the reports - see how to ensure your tax report is accurate.